Affectionately referred to as "The Burr," the building is home to the Bison men's and women's basketball and women's volleyball teams.
Opened in 1963, it is named after John Harold Burr, Jr., former basketball, swimming and track and field coach as well as chairman of the physical education department from 1923 to 1958. Burr rose to prominence as a pioneer in Black participation in the sport of soccer and contributed to Howard's dominance in Historically Black College and University championships during the 1950's.
Burr Gymnasium is a multi-purpose arena with a seating capacity of 2,700 that also houses the Athletics Hall of Fame and a separate practice venue for basketball and volleyball. The building also hosts gym classes ranging from martial arts to swimming and the "Pulse," a 5,000-square foot private, on-campus workout facility. The Pulse is a mirrored room with mounted televisions that includes a stereo, drinking fountains and locker rooms with showers. There is an elliptical machine, universal, treadmill and rowing machine as well as stationary bikes, incline bench and free weights.
Directions to Burr Gymnasium | 2400 6th St NW, Washington, DC 20059